Tuesday, February 21, 2012

About This Blog

My Blogs and Profile :: Table of Contents :: Index

I created this blog to help ethical eaters overcome some of the challenges I faced, and still face, in trying to decide what and how to consume.

Modern society and technology both helps and hinders the effort to eat ethically. In addition to being able to search online for information, we get information overload: sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees. Also, so many different methods now exist to make the same thing. In times past, one could simply go to a farm and ask about the practices. Now, the majority of our food is shipped from distant places, and anything pre-made not only doesn't have to list the source of its ingredients, but usually doesn't know and won't even respond to requests for this information.

Two of the examples I notice the most where this causes problems are sugar and bananas. Both are prime examples of why FDA not requiring accurate labeling can cause serious distress in consumers. As I discuss in my Food and Substitutions Guide, sugar is an issue because most vegetarians are unaware that the majority of sugar refined in America is refined through animal bone char.

My blog is devoted not just to recipes, but also to the big questions. We run into trouble figuring out what is good for the environment, what is bad for the environment, whether concerning certain animal products may sometimes be a positive choice or always cruel to the animals, if and how to eat local, and other grey areas. I explore these questions and give answers, as best I can, as well as resources to help you find the information you need to make your own decisions about what is the best choice for you.


Last updated: 19 Mar. 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment